Zheng Jie all set to shine at Wimbledon

Zheng Jie all set to shine at Wimbledon

Zheng
There was a time, a few years back, when the talk of tennis was that the Chinese were coming.
It was only a matter of time before the nation with the biggest population on the planet dominated the game.
A big reason behind such lavish predictions was Zheng Jie, a player who decided to use Wimbledon to announce her name to the world.
First, in 2006, she captured the ladies' doubles crown with Yan Zi. Then, two years later, she swept through to the semi-finals of the singles where it took Serena Williams to end her remarkable run.
Somewhat strangely, Zheng has not been past the second round in SW19 since so what has happened to the Chinese star which once shone so brightly?
For those who only loosely follow the WTA circuit, Zheng has still been very much part of the world's top 50 without grabbing the headlines too often. She did return to a Grand Slam semi-final at the 2010 Australian Open but that was the exception rather than the rule in terms of results at the highest level.
A wrist injury which required surgery at the end of 2010 did not help her cause but as Wimbledon approaches once more there are real signs that Zheng, now 28, is ready to make an impact on the All England Club's lawns again.
Having won in Auckland at the start of the season, Zheng made the semi-finals at last week's AEGON Classic in Birmingham, leaving her full of confidence and back in the world's top 30, meaning she will be seeded for Wimbledon.
She told sportinglife.com: "Wimbledon is my favourite tournament, I would like to play on the grass all the time.
"I don't know why because in China we don't have grasscourts, none at all.
"I just feel so comfortable on the surface. I won the doubles at Wimbledon and then reached the singles semi-finals so I have more confidence now on the grasscourt.
"I think that helps. It's good memory and a good experience (to draw upon)."
However, while Zheng will travel to SW19 brimming with confidence, that very nearly wasn't the case.
During a run of five wins in 15 matches following this season's Australian Open, Zheng forgot to enter the Birmingham tournament and had to qualify for the main draw - something a player ranked in the top 40 doesn't usually have to do.
She admitted: "It's my fault - I forgot to enter in time, that's why, but I really want to play the grass tournaments because there are only two tournaments before Wimbledon.
"I wanted to get as many matches I as I can before then."
That plan certainly seems to have gone well with Zheng beating fourth seed Roberta Vinci during her run at the Edgbaston Priory Club.
Having suffered an early defeat at Eastbourne, Zheng is now off to London, a city in which she feels at home.
"I have been to London many times, every time, for sure, I go to Chinatown and find a good Chinese restaurant," she said.
"I also have many friends there because I have been coming many years. They give me some good help during my time in England."
All in all, things seem to be falling into place for Zheng, a player who will celebrate her birthday on July 5.
That's women's semi-finals day. Just maybe she will be there again.

source:http://www.espnstar.com/tennis/wimbledon/news/detail/item817812/Zheng-Jie-all-set-to-shine-at-Wimbledon/
monte escalier

Newer Post Older Post

Leave a Reply

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...